Thursday, March 27, 2014

8:30 Tip Off on a School Night

A dear friend of our family has season tickets to the Utah Jazz.  She is the ultimate fan and its darling.  The problem with season tickets is that there are a LOT of games.  In the past she used to give my dad the tickets she couldn't use because she had a conflict that night.  He in turn would give them to my brothers in law since he couldn't walk up the stairs or sit in those seats for so long. 

After Pops died she asked my sister if he had ever used those tickets and she told her that he had given them to whoever could go.  So K said that we still needed to get her extra tickets.  This year on top of her tickets she had gotten promotional tickets for quite a few of the games that she gave us.  Back in January, Keegan and I had gone to a game which happened to be the one where they retired Jerry Sloan's jersey.  I loved that game because I was Jazz fan in the 90's when it was Stockton and Malone. They were both at the game along with a lot of former players.  We had a blast and Keegan found out he really liked going to basketball games.  I told him we had another set of tickets and he was so excited.

I put the date of the game on my calendar but didn't pay much attention to the time.  Then I looked the other day and gasped when I saw that tip off was at 8:30 PM.  The previous game had the same time but it was a Friday night so no biggie.  This game was on a Wednesday!  And a Wednesday after a very long day at work. And a day where Keegan had woken up at 4:30 AM with a nightmare and not gone back to sleep.

So yes, I dragged my kid out on a school night to see a basketball game.  Judge away but I would do it again. 

Walking from the parking lot to the stadium he chatted non-stop.  His eyes were glowing and he couldn't wait to get in there.  He was really hoping the Jazz would win (they lost the last game).

As promised we got him some treats- I was hoping for a beer but ran out of hands- and found our seats.  K has really nice seats for upper bowl. 

For a kid who has sensory issues, it is amazing to watch him get into all the chaos of a stadium game.  He loves when they play the defense music and show the pictures on the jumbo tron.  He watches for cues to yell louder and goes right along with it.  He is a much better date for a basketball game than his dad ever was (my husband is not into sports at all).

Originally I had thought that if the game isn't too close we might be "those people" and leave early.  At the beginning of the 4th the Jazz were up 15.  That would have been a good time to leave but we were having too much fun.  But then they lost the lead and eventually lost the game.  A friend of mine reminded me they are a young team and so that is how you can lose a 15 pt lead in 10 minutes. 

I did manage to get a beer at half time.  Draft Shock Top baby!  I let Keegan get a basketball (I'm a sucker).  As we were leaving I said "that was a good game even if they lost."  Keegan made me so proud when he said "It doesn't matter who wins as long as everyone plays fair and its a good game."  Seriously where did this kid come from?  He has grown so much the past 4 months.

So we might have gotten home at midnight and then he was so excited he had a hard time falling asleep.  I might be exhausted beyond belief today.  And I might rip someone a new one because when I am this tired I am grouchy.  But it was totally worth it.  Thanks K!




In other news:  1.Keegan has gotten above 90% on his last two spelling tests (really a big accomplishment.  I loved spelling, none of my kids do).  I told him if he did well he could have a treat.  He picked a frozen burrito.  OK then.  2. Brian doesn't have a job yet but has picked up some contract work.  I vacillate between feeling like it will all work out and having panic attacks. 3. Daniel is almost finished with high school.  He's been accepted to the U and will start in the fall- ugh two kids out of the house.


No comments:

Post a Comment