Wednesday, February 5, 2014

That's Respectful, Right?

Oh my sweet Keegan.  He used to love Legos.  We would go to the store and he would ask for a new Lego; "not a spensive one"  I used to lament that the problem with Legos is that they come out with a new series constantly.  The past 5-6 months he has gotten away from the lego which makes me sad.  As much as I hate how many pieces they have and I really hate them on the floor in the dark; I love the creativity they inspire.

With two boys who went through a Lego phase we have a lot of Legos around the house.  I've tried many way to corral them but still make them available for play.  I've always felt that they take time to create and so there should be a place where they lego in progress can be left out when play time is over.  I never wanted my kids to spend hours creating a masterpiece only to have me come in and say, "sorry you spent hours working on that but now you have to disassemble it so the room is clean." Last weekend I invested in an IKEA storage system with pull out bins.  I got ever single Lego into the bins and the only other thing I would like is to get the sorter thingy so they are in bins by size but who knows if that will happen.

When Keegan got home from school I asked him if he liked the new organizer.  He said "well, I don't really play with legos as much anymore like I used to when I was younger.  I think it looks good but I won't use it very much anymore.  But don't worry, I won't make you take it down because you worked hard putting it together and it looks nice."  Then he looked up and said "That is being respectful, right?"   Oh sweetie, yes, that was respectful to recognize that I put time effort and money into that thing.  I'm happy he is learning respect and sad he is getting big and not as interested in Legos.


No comments:

Post a Comment