Friday, January 11, 2013

Snow Day! Ya Right

Kids in Utah don't get snow days..............

My kids have never ever in their whole miserable lives ever had a snow day.  There was one day in 05 where they got a late start day.  9:30 AM- as opposed to 8:50 AM.  Really this is a true story.

There was also a snow day in 96.  I remember it clearly because I was 15 hours into a 30 hour labor that started with an external version and ended with forceps in the OR and APGARS of 2,5,7 (yes, I am well aware that they are horrible but he is now 17 and has a 3.6 GPA and is taking concurrent enrollment at the CC)  They closed the University which meant all the local districts said "yep, the weather must be bad because those University people know when to call it."

My daughter was 3 at the time and didn't notice or care.  My son was well, almost around but didn't care.

There was a day in 02 or 03 that should have been called but the President of the U was from Michigan or Minnesota and had come from a mostly resident campus.  He lives across the street and thought "hey, I had no problem getting here so classes will carry on"  The University is a commuter campus.  only about 1/3 of the students live on or close to campus.  The rest are coming from anywhere from 2-80 miles away.  Well there were 100's of accidents and a couple of fatalities.  Bernie learned his lesson but then we hit a drought.

We have a new president on the hill and we are also in a wet cycle in this here desert.  Yesterday a winter storm warning was called.  It was to begin at 3 PM and go until Sat at noon.  Sure as shit it started to snow at the airport around 2 PM.  I was heading home at three so no worries for me.  I did have to run Keegan to theater but it was still tolerable.

By 5:30 my educator called to see if I was canceling class.  She is from California- wimp!  (just kidding  she awesome)  She also lives up the canyon and was worried about getting home.  I told her that since she was already in Salt Lake to go up to the hospital and call everyone in her class.  If they all wanted to cancel then fine.  She called me back at 6 PM stuck in the snow with a flat tire and no way to call.  I called and canceled classes for the second time EVER!.

My daughter called at 8:30 PM.  The buses weren't running and she was stuck at the U.  My husband braved the storm while I sat around finishing the last 50 Shades of Gray book (mediocre review to come)  And I did shovel the driveway.  All 12 -15 inches.

Apparently is snowed all night.  I listened attentively for snow closures to find that all of Davis County was shut down but that only private schools and the community college in the valley would be closed.  So we packed it up and started on the trek.  I fishtailed at the top of the Bengal Bump (steep curvy hill) and ended up in a snow bank.  Brian came and rescued us.  Then we set off on the rest of our 10 mile journey.  Keegan was dropped off in time for school drop off.  And then it took an HOUR to get Daniel to school.  It was a well known fact at that point that he would be late and so would I.  I dropped him off with a note and figured another 20 minutes to the U.   Maybe 30.  An HOUR AND A HALF later I got there; at 11:00 AM.  Luckily today was an office day- no patients, no meetings, no one noticed I was missing.   I worked for a bit and then at 1:00 PM.  They called it.  Four hour commute and it took until 1:00 to say "oh that was dumb.  If we didn't have so many people on the roads maybe the plows could keep up."  The schools started letting kids go if they could get a hold of their parents.  My son wasn't so lucky.  I missed his call and he didn't leave a message.  So stay until 3 PM he did.

Its still snowing.  And is supposed to for another 12 hours.  But tomorrow is Saturday.  So no, no snow day again.

No comments:

Post a Comment